Learning Languages for Free

Troi Metzger, Writer

If anyone else is as busy as those in current Junior class, they know that extracurricular activities are extraordinarily difficult to fit in between classes, homework, studying, sports, clubs, Netflix — just kidding…maybe — and a social life (yeah, right).
Notice I didn’t include sleep. Just giving underclassmen something to look forward to. 🙂
No really, it’s not too bad. Know at Rio Mesa, when you suffer from sleep deprivation you are in the company of many other ambitious, Netflix-loving, self-induced insomniacs.

Here is the true tragedy of the Spartan. Learning another language, outside of those taught at school, is rather difficult. Yes, **distress**, because everyone is frantic to learn another language.

As everyone is concerned with this matter, it is essential that I provide this service to the students: where to learn another language for free.

Below are a list of free website(s) and apps with a variety of language options:

Duolingo – Containing: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Turkish, Swedish, Irish, Danish, Norwegian, Polish, Hebrew, Esperanto, Vietnamese, Greek, Swahili, and Hindu. Also with beta forms of: Japanese, Korean, Indonesian, and Klingon.

Memrise – Containing: Japanese, French, Korean, Spanish (Mexico and Spain), German, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Polish, Chinese (Mandarin), and more.

Conjuemos – Containing: French, Italian, German, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, and Korean.

HelloChinese – Containing: Chinese (Mandarin).

Of course, there are many more free tools for language learning on the internet, but my personal favorites are these four.

My first choice is Duolingo. It’s my favorite because of its organization on the screen and in lessons. It tests vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and provides fun ways for users to interact with other people learning the same language. Its word variety and subject areas also are broad ranging, practical, and explain local slang.

Memrise is also a wonderful app, with a greater word variety and alphabet explanation. However, the organization of lessons is not at the same level as Duolingo. This app tests memorization and pronunciation.

Conjuemos is a website I recommend for students to use as a tool for additional vocabulary and grammar advancement. In the beginning of your studies it’s best to use other sources.

Last but not least, HelloChinese. This app is a great source for those interested in sole focus on Chinese (Mandarin). It is organized similarly to Duolingo and tests the same aspects, although it has the addition of a thoroughly taught and explained alphabet.

All of these sources are fantastic for students who are just beginning a language, reviewing, or expanding. Also, most importantly I stress, it’s free.

Now you can become fluent in all of those languages you wanted to study. Glad I could help.
***Note: for all of these, there are options of extra benefits for pay. These are not mandatory.