Club Highlight #1: A Zoomed Look into Rio Mesa’s Photography Club

Savannah Landaverde, Writer

Rio Mesa high school holds an annual Club Rush where cabinet members advocate their club for students to sign up. It’s a great chance to get involved with your interests, or to try something completely new to you! Club Rush is a key opportunity for new club organizers to gain recognition and encourage people to join. Photography club president and founder Griselda Hernandez have been committed to devoting her time to teaching others about digital photography. The team consists of vice president Norma Gomez, events chair Daniel Estrada, treasurer Issac, and social media managers Elvira and Akyra.

“I’m thankful for the support my cabinet provides, they’re all a huge help to me.” Taking the cameras in and out was a struggle, but the turnout was a success for them. “It matters to me that Club Rush was successful for every club.” You ask why not just take the class? It’s worth the time for interested students that are not able to add it to their schedule or just want to learn the basics of photography!

Holding meetings every Tuesday and Thursday, Griselda grappled with introducing a new club to Rio Mesa students.

“Having to promote it and get it out there to people was pretty complicated.”

The team, she adds, has made the club fun overall. They’re all committed to staying after school to upload and edit the photos they take on campus. Experienced or not, members are offered community service hours for after-school photo editing. Griselda makes it clear that you do not have to be professional to take a photo, everyone of any level is welcome. 

Griselda thought of embarking on the photography route after thinking it would be fun to see pictures from around the campus. A plus was taking photos for those who have yet to witness a football game, for example, people get to see highlights taken by the photography club.  It is both thrilling and motivating knowing someone can be looking forward to seeing the images. 

“It involves more school engagement and community,  you feel the love for the sport when they’re playing and you’re watching, feeling ready to take a picture.” She describes the perfect example of the togetherness they feel when capturing an enthralling moment. “I feel like taking pictures just captures the moment, especially with a second less or a second more could make a huge difference with the shot. You just enjoy more of it when you can see more in detail.”

The goal of every meeting is to teach members the difference between cameras, their functions, and how to take a photo with the ones they have. Many members are completely new, so teaching photography styles and seeing the results of what’s captured is a rewarding experience. They have different projects every week where they turn in photo submissions.

“I like to see how a lot of people are engaged enough to ask questions. Seeing people step out of their comfort zone is what I enjoy.”